I have changed the appearance of this blog by importing a stylesheet called Tiny Green from Movable Styles. I also got around to upgrading to the latest version of Movable Type.
The Tiny Green style has the basic display elements that I need. It will resize to fill the screen. Many of the MT styles are based on Typepad styles. They have a general coloured background. The columns seem to have a fixed maximum width and on large monitors, the text simple got stuck between two wide colour bars. It has a nice lay out for heading titles. The side column code recognizes Category titles and subtitles. The fonts are good. The default font size for post contents is x-small and that doesn’t work that well on monitors set to fine resolutions, so I have increased the font size.
I changed the border colours on the banner and columns to a shade of orange. It seems to set off the green. I am changing some of the default link colours. I will leave green as the default colour for links but change the hover and active link colours. The banner is pretty spartan, and I am playing with it a little but that may be a waste of time. I will have to used some digital photos and a logo in an image file. In the mean time I’m bright green.
I spent some time with my FTP client to upload all the files in the MT 3.121 upgrade to my web host. I see a few changes at the administrative end that simplify writing and formatting a post. There are buttons on both the Entry Body and Extended Entry fields to insert html tags for text emphasis and links. That’s good, especially putting the buttons on the extended entry field, which I use for longer posts.